Back To List of Artists

VICTOR VASARELY (1908 -1997)

Vasarely studied at the Podolini-Volkman Art Academy and the ‘Budapest Bauhaus’, the Mühely Academy directed by Alexandre Bortnyik, attending lectures by Moholy-Nagy. He was introduced to the work of Malevich, Mondrian, Gropius, Kandinsky and Le Corbusier. He became a member of the Galerie Denise Rene group in Paris from its inception in 1944.

Vasarely exhibited at the Salon des Surindependants, the Salon des Realites Nouvelles and the Salon de Mai. One-man shows were held in Budapest 1930-33, Copenhagen 1950, Stockholm 1952, Brussels 1954, and the Galerie Denise René 1944, 46, 49, 52, 55. He was awarded the Prix de la Critique in Brussels, the Gold Medal at the Milan Trienniale, the International Prize at Valencia, the Guggenheim International Prize, the Grand Prix de Gravure, Lubljana, and the Grand Prix de la Biennale de Sao Paulo. By the 1950s Vasarely was the acknowledged leader of the Op-Art movement. During the 1970s he created the Vasarely Foundation in Gordes, southern France, and the Vasarely Center in New York, which were devoted to the preservation of his work.

Original Prints by this artist
Biography